Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) is an annual campaign to raise public awareness about sexual assault and educate communities and individuals on how to prevent sexual violence. The month of April is the selected month and the color is teal.
Each year during the month of April, state and community-based organizations such as rape crisis centers, government agencies, businesses, school campuses and individuals plan events and activities to highlight sexual violence as a human rights, public health, and social justice issue and reinforce the need for prevention efforts. You can read more about the history of Sexual Assault Awareness Month here.
What is Sexual Assault?
Sexual assault is any forced, unwanted, coerced sexual contact. Different types of violence can be included in sexual assault.
Sexual Assault can include, but is not limited to:
- Rape (Sexual intercourse or pentation without consent)
- Attempted rape
- Incest (Sexual contact with a family member)
- Child sexual abuse
- Unwanted sexual touching
- Forcible object penetration (penetrating someone’s vagina or anus, or causing that person to penetrate her or himself, against that person’s will)
- Human sex trafficking
- Sexual assaults with intimate partner (Includes martial rape)
- Sexual harassments
*Sexual assault is not limited to these behaviors only. Sexual assault is never the victim’s fault.
*Consent is a verbal agreement between two partners to engage in sexual activity. Consent cannot be given by individuals who are underage, intoxicated, asleep, incapacitated by drugs or alcohol, or unconscious.
Day of Action
- April 4th, 2023 is the day of action. Show support for survivors by wearing teal! Participate all month in support by using the hashtag #SAAM2023 to spread the word on Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
Freedom House booth at Weatherford College
Date: April 11 and 12, 2023
Location: Weatherford College
225 College Park Dr, Weatherford, TX 76086
Crime Victims Rights Vigil
Crime Victim’s Rights Week Vigil honors those who have lost loved ones to violence and honor survivors. The Vigil takes place at the Doss Heritage and Culture Center in Weatherford. This includes a choir performance, guest speaker and more.
Date: April 25, 2023 at 6pm
Location: Doss Heritage and Culture Center
1400 Texas Dr, Weatherford, TX 76086