Freedom House of Parker County

Safety Planning

If you know you are, or have concerns that you are, in an abusive relationship, it is important to know a safety plan. This is to protect yourself. The safety plan is specific to your situation. If you, or someone you know, needs help in creating a safety plan, please contact our hotline at 817-596-8922. 

Create Your Own Safety Plan

Items to Take if You Plan to Leave an Abusive Relationship

  • Marriage license
  • Driver’s license
  • Social Security cards/numbers
  • Health records
  • Children’s birth certificates/Social Security cards
  • Money/credit cards in your name
  • Checkbooks
  • Bank account numbers
  • Custody paperwork
  • Insurance polices
  • Car title
  • List of important phone numbers
  • Necessary medication
  • Any valuable jewelry, sentimental items, pictures
  •  Change of clothes for you (and children if any)

When Preparing to Leave

  • Establish your own checking account
  • Begin to accumulate and hide extra money
  • Obtain and hide extra keys for the house and car
  • Pack a suitcase with extra clothing for yourself and children. Leave it where partner won’t find it and you can get it quickly
  • Have documents hidden and readily available
  • Decide on a safe place to go: Freedom House, a friend’s, family or motel 
  • Establish a code with family and friends if an emergency arises
  • Take the children with you if at all possible
  • Take action to prevent further harm to yourself. Even if you cannot take the things you have hidden, LEAVE!
  • The most dangerous time is leaving your abuser. 

Other Safety Planning

  • Notify a neighbor to be alert for strange noises and call the police
  • Don’t hesitate to call the police
  • Decide on a code word to use with children, friends and family if you need the police
  • If an argument breaks out, try not to be in a room without an exit. 
  • Call Freedom House hotline: 817-596-8922
  • Have a plan of where to go for safety in case you need to
  • Have bag packed and hidden where you can access it quickly
  • Bag can be left at a friends or safe place to intend to go
  • National domestic violence hotline number: 1.800.799.SAFE (7233)
  • At work, have someone escort you to your car
  • Have someone screen your telephone calls
  • Use a different route to work if possible
  • Consider who you may share information with and notify the front office or security
  • If abuser has moved out, change the locks on your home. If you rent, notify landlord to remove them from the lease
  • Change your telephone number after leaving
  • Inform your children’s school/daycare about who has permission to pick them up
  • After leaving, never tell the abuser where you live or give them your new phone number
  • Keep windows locked
  • Consider security cameras for your home after abuser has moved out
  • Inform neighbors after abuser has left and let them know to call the police if they come to your home

Protective Orders

If you or your children have been threatened, you can apply for a Protective Order with the County or District Attorney

Call the police if your partner violates the Protective Order

Keep your Protective Order with you

Inform friends, family, neighbors that you have a Protective Order

Have alternate plans if police do not respond immediantly