If you are sexually assaulted:
- Go to somewhere safe and call someone you trust
- Call 911 or go to the emergency room
- JPS Emergency Department provides SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) Exams.
- Do not change your clothing from the assault, but bring a change of clothes with you to the emergency room
- Do not shower, bathe or douche before coming to the emergency room
- Do not brush hair or teeth
- If possible, do not eat, drink or use the restroom
- Do not smoke
It is NOT too late to make a report even if you have done any of the above items. Go to the hospital or local police department.
What is a SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner)?
A Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) is a Registered Nurse who has received special training so that s/he can provide comprehensive care to sexual assault victims. In addition s/he is able to conduct a forensic exam and may provide expert testimony if a case goes to trial. (Source)
What is Sexual Assault/Abuse?
Sexual assault is any forced, unwanted, coerced sexual contact. Different types of violence can be included in sexual assault.
Sexual Assault can include, but is not limited to:
- Rape (Sexual intercourse or pentation without consent)
- Attempted rape
- Incest (Sexual contact with a family member)
- Child sexual abuse
- Unwanted sexual touching
- Forcible object penetration (penetrating someone’s vagina or anus, or causing that person to penetrate her or himself, against that person’s will)
- Human sex trafficking
- Sexual assaults with intimate partner (Includes martial rape)
- Sexual harassments
*Sexual assault is not limited to these behaviors only. Sexual assault is never the victim’s fault.
*Consent is a verbal agreement between two partners to engage in sexual activity. Consent cannot be given by individuals who are underage, intoxicated, asleep, incapacitated by drugs or alcohol, or unconscious.
If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, seek help. The below resources can help.
- Freedom House
- Hotline: 817-596-8922
- 1149 Fort Worth Hwy Weatherford, TX 76086
- JPS Emergency Department (SANE Exam)
- National Sexual Assault Hotline